I have long been told that you cannot really claim the title “Pit-Master” until you have mastered the beef brisket. Well, I think I finally have. I bought a Large Big Green Egg about three months ago, and everything I have cooked on it has turned out beautifully! The brisket was no exception. I didn’t come up with the method. I found it online and had lots of help from a friend, but now that I know what to do, I think I may experiment some in the future…
These are the basic Steps that I followed:
Setup Egg for indirect. I like to use a rectangular drip pan ($3 at Food Lion) and put foil out to keep direct heat off of the egg.
1) Rub – Used Dizzy Pig Cow Lick this time. Sprayed with some canola oil to keep from falling off. I let it set in the fridge overnight.
2) Cook to 165-175F at 230F with 2 medium sized cherry wood chunks.
3) Double wrap in foil and add 2oz beef stock.
3) Cook to 195F.
4) Wrap in towels and put in cooler.
5) Leave for at least one hour.
6) Savor your effort.
7) Slice against the grain!
I hope you will try the brisket, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Until next time,
JS – PitMaster