A simple, but wholesome dinner, this meatloaf is a family favorite! Serve with homemade mashed potatoes and your favorite vegetable. I usually use 85% ground beef because of the flavor, but 90% will work as well. If you really want to make it low fat, you can use ground turkey.
- 2 pounds ground beef, 85% to 90%
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup (plus more for topping)
Heat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion, seasoning, and 1/2 cup ketchup. Mix until well blended and pack into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Carefully drain off any excess grease and top with about 4 tablespoons of ketchup. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Tip: Try placing some day old bread beneath the meatloaf when cooking. The bread will soak up fat and leave the loaf less greasy.